Open Cup Tester
Flash Point is defined as "the lowest temperature of a liquid at which its vapors will form a combustible mixture with air". It is a convenient and reliable classification of the "flammability" of many substances.
The Elcometer 6910/2 Setaflash Series 3 Open Cup Tester offers the fastest and most accurate Flash Point instrument at a cost effective price.
Certain substances, classified as "flammable" by Closed Cup Flash Point Testing, may be reclassified as "non-flammable" by combustibility testing. This has significant potential cost reduction implications for the packaging, storage and shipping of many materials.
The Elcometer 6910 Setaflash features an open cup for flash/no-flash finite determinations or sustained combustion tests, audible and on-screen prompts and easy calibration. Flash Point tests can be conducted in less than two minutes with a temperature range from ambient to 300°C (572°F).
A manually operated flame sweeping arm is fitted to the cup and gas is supplied from the integral tank via the control valve. The flash or sustained combustion characteristics of the sample are observed visually by passing the test flame over the sample.
Elcometer offers a range of Flash Point testing equipment, including:
- Open Cup tests - simulate an un-contained condition, for example a spillage.
- Closed Cup tests - simulate an enclosed environment, for example storage in a tank or sealed container and are usually specified due to improved precision.
Measuring Flash Point
Most industries need to test the Flash Point of raw materials, products or waste to ensure:
- Product quality - as a measure of consistency and performance comparison
- Compliance testing - to test safety classification for handling, storage, transport and waste
- In-service analysis - tests on in-use oils and other substances for contamination / adulteration
- General safety - to evaluate hazard potential
- Specifications - to check conformance.